I know it’s a bit bold to call this French onion soup perfect, especially when there are so many other wonderful recipes out there, but this one truly is perfect. Sweet onions caramelized in butter and brown sugar until they are soft and extra sweet, then bathed in savory beef stock with fresh herbs and finished with buttered French bread and a melted Gruyere cheese topping. This perfect French Onion Soup has a few tricks up its proverbial sleeve, and it is those tricks that make all the difference…brandy and sweet onions go divine together, just saying!
Perfect French Onion Soup
My husband is a sucker for a good soup. I don’t know if it’s because of the warm cozy feeling of soup, the flavor combination of vegetables and broth, or just an excuse to eat a meal in a bowl. Whatever the case, I am happy to oblige, as I love soup too. He is especially a fan of this French onion soup. Not only is the broth rich and flavorful, but it is topped with what is essentially a swiss grilled cheese sandwich — soup and sandwich in one luxurious soup! This soup recipe takes only 45 minutes to whip into perfection, so prepare this for someone you love pronto, they will adore it (and you)!
- Sweet Onions: Try to use Vidalia onions if you can, but any sweet onion will work in a pinch.
- Beef Stock: Make homemade stock if you have the time but a nice store-bought organic broth (such as Pacific Foods) is fine too.
- Brandy: Use the good stuff, you will thank me later.
- French Bread: Sometimes I make my own, sometimes I get store-bought. If you are making this as part of a larger meal, save time and get store-bought.
- Gruyere Cheese: Gruyere is a specific type of Swiss cheese that melts easily. If you can’t find Gruyere, use an imported Swiss cheese.
Other delicious soups
- Pumpkin Soup with Apple-Cranberry Relish
- Hearty Ham Split Pea Soup
- Butternut Squash Apple Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Beer Cheese Soup