Last Friday morning, I made fifty meatballs for a teacher’s luncheon Friday afternoon. I made beef meatballs for the teachers, but my family only eats turkey meatballs, so I made a separate batch of turkey for us. I decided to jazz up my recipe by adding a little surprise in the middle of each ball-a bit of mozzarella for these Mozzarella stuffed turkey meatballs. My family loved them, they were savory, with a burst of creamy cheese in the center!
Mozzarella Stuffed Turkey Meatballs
- 1 lb ground turkey
- ½ cup Bella Italian bread crumbs (I love Bella, but you can use any Italian breadcrumbs)
- ½ c. finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg (I usually use egg beaters—1/4 c. equals one egg)
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- My secret ingredient… ½ tsp ground sage
- 4 oz Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
Add egg, Worcestershire sauce, onion, and garlic powder, and sage, mixing together thoroughly. Roll the meat into balls. Cut the mozzarella into small 2-3 inch pieces.
Add a dimple to each meatball, and add a piece of mozzarella.
Close the dimple so the mozzarella is enclosed in the meatball. Place the meatballs on a foil-lined baking sheet.
Bake in a 350’ oven for 30-35 min, until golden brown.
Remove from the oven and drop into your favorite marinara sauce. Let the meatballs soak in the sauce at least half an hour before serving.