This is a eastern European-inspired dish, with roast chicken, apples, and a brandy sauce. Chicken with Apple Brandy sauce is a perfect fall entree, delightful with potato pancakes, pirogi, or buttered noodles.
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 c. coarsely chopped sweet onion
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Apple, cored and peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2-3 sprigs Fresh Sage, chopped
- 3-4 Boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1/4 c. Flour
- 1/8 tsp. Ground Sage
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/8 tsp. Ground Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1/2 c. Apple juice
- 2 Tbsp. Brandy or Cognac
For a richer delicate apple taste, use Calvados apple brandy.
Melt the butter in a saute pan. Add the chopped onion and apple and saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Remove from pan, place into a bowl, and set aside to use later.
Transfer the entire pan to a baking dish, cover. Place in the heated oven and bake 35 minutes. Serve with Pierogi and a vegetable.